Preservation of your privacy is important to Rema UK and we are committed to letting you know how we use your personal information and to making only responsible use of your data.
Data Protection Regulations
We are regulated by the EU General Data Protection Regulation 2018.
The law on data protection sets out a number of different reasons for which an organisation may collect and process your personal data, including:
In specific circumstances we can collect and process your data with your consent – for example when you tick a box to receive email or paper newsletters.
If we suspect fraud, we are legally bound to report it to the appropriate authority.
In specific situations, we require your data to pursue our legitimate interests in a way which might reasonably be expected as part of running our charity and which does not materially impact your rights, freedom or interests.
For example, we will also use your address details to send you newsletters and direct marketing by email or post, telling you about events, activities and needs we think might interest you.
When do we collect your personal data?
- When you visit our website
- When you engage with us on social media
- When you contact us by any means with queries or a complaint
- When you become a supporter
- When you become a financial supporter
- When you choose to complete any survey we send you
- When you’ve given a third party permission to share with us the information they hold about you
What sort of personal data do we collect?
- Contact details, such a title, names, address, email and phone numbers, date of birth
- Bank/Building Society details, including account number and sort code
What we do with the information we gather?
We use your personal data to keep you informed about our activities and those of our partner, Rema Burundi; for financial supporters we also can use your data to arrange visits from Rema officers to share information and seek financial support, as well as being required to retain such data under legal obligation from HMRC and the Charity Commission.
We are committed to ensuring that your information is secure. In order to prevent unauthorised access or disclosure, we have put in place suitable physical, electronic and managerial procedures to safeguard and secure the information we collect online. [Please be assured that we do not store payment details anywhere]. Details are to be found in our Information Security Policy.
How long do we keep your personal data?
We are required by law to only keep your personal data for the period necessary to fulfil the purpose for which it was given, subject to either our legal obligations and/or your request for the data to be corrected or deleted. More details on this are to be found in our Data Retention Policy.
Who do we share your personal data with?
We only share your data with our partner Rema Burundi when necessary in order to fulfil our purpose, and to fulfil our legal obligations. We only provide information specific to the need, and we are obliged to ensure their data protection policies are effective.
What are your rights over your personal data?
You have the right to request the following:
- Access to the personal data we hold about you, will be provided to you within 30 days free of charge.
- The correction of your personal data when incorrect, out of date, or incomplete. For example, when you withdraw consent, or object and we have no legitimate overriding interest, or once the purpose for which we hold the data has come to an end
- That we stop using your personal data for direct marketing (either through specific channels, or all channels). Please note that you may continue to receive communications for a short period after changing your preferences while our systems are fully updated.
- That we stop any consent-based processing of your personal data after you withdraw that consent.
You may request details of personal information which we hold about you under the General Data Protection Regulations 2018. If you would like a copy of the information held on you please write to us at:
10 Oaklands Rd, Four Oaks, Sutton Coldfield B74 2TB
If you believe that any information we are holding on you is incorrect or incomplete, please write to us or email us as soon as possible, at the above address. We will promptly correct any information found to be incorrect.
Checking your identity
To protect the confidentiality of your information, we will ask you to verify your identity before proceeding with any request you make under this Privacy Notice. If you have authorised a third party to submit a request on your behalf, we will ask them to prove they have your permission to act.
Contacting the Regulator
If you feel that your data has not been handled correctly, or you are unhappy with our response to any requests you have made to us regarding the use of your personal data, you have the right to lodge a complaint with the Information Commissioner’s Office.
You can contact them by calling 0303 123 1113
Or go online to www.ico.org.uk/concerns (opens in a new window; please note we can’t be responsible for the content of external websites)
If you have any questions that haven’t been covered, please contact our Secretary by email at firstname.lastname@example.org